Q. Who is eligible to receive Federal Student Aid??

A. To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen

  • Have a valid Social Security number (unless you’re from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)

  • Comply with Selective Service registration, if required (see www.sss.gov for more information)

  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate or pass an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test

  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participates in the federal student aid programs.


  • You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan.

  • You must have financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans)

  • If you have past drug convictions, we encourage you to complete the Drug Conviction Worksheet to determine if those convictions affect your eligibility.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions about Saving for College.

Aug. 20, 2005.