Property Seizure by Medicaid to Pay Medical Bill

Q: My boyfriend’s father recently had a stroke. He is unable to write or speak. My question is regarding his home.

In the father’s will, he left his home to my boyfriend. But I’m wondering what’s going to happen now. I was told that Medicaid can take the home for payment since his father is probably going to have to live in an assisted living facility.

Is this true? What should we do about this?

A: When a person has little or no money to pay for medical care and nursing home expenses, Medicaid picks up the costs for that care. But when a person has assets and a means to pay for his or her medical expenses, the government expects that person to use up his or her money first and when his or her assets have been exhausted, then Medicaid picks up the rest of the costs. Unfortunately, in most states Medicare is not required to help pay for assisted living, only nursing home facilities.

If your boyfriend’s father ends up requiring care and that care is prolonged, his assets will be at risk, including the home.

There are a couple of things that you should keep in mind: First, if your boyfriend’s father is the sole owner of the property and the home is worth a significant amount of cash and has lots of equity, the government may require whoever is now managing your boyfriend’s father’s affairs to sell the property and use the funds to pay for his care.

If the home has a mortgage, or if the home has little equity value, or the home is co-owned with his wife or someone else, it is possible that government won’t force the sale of the home. In this case, the government might put a lien on the property for the cost that it incurs for medical care. When the home is sold, the government will get paid off from the proceeds and what is left will go to the heirs.

If, however, your boyfriend’s father and his wife or partner own the home jointly, Medicaid may not require the sale of the home to force the spouse or partner out of the home. If the father were to die, the home should pass automatically to his spouse or partner and bypass any Medicaid issues.

You should also know that you can’t just transfer the home to a relative and expect the government not to care.

If necessary, Medicaid will perform a type of audit on your boyfriend’s father’s assets to determine if his assets were given away in order to avoid paying the tab for his medical care. If assets were given away, then Medicare has the right to go after those assets. So, if the home went to your boyfriend now, and his father required those funds to satisfy his medical bills, Medicaid could come after him for the money.

Frequently, when faced with these situations, some people will sell the home and use the proceeds from the sale to pay for expenses that may be coming from outside sources. For example, if he was using retirement funds to live on, he could use the proceeds from the sale to pay for living expenses. If family members were helping out with his living expenses and caring for him, those family members could get paid or reimbursed for those expenses.

While Medicaid rules are tricky, your boyfriend should talk to an estate planner to see what assets his father has and how he should proceed. The family may need to obtain a guardianship order to handle the affairs of his father’s estate while he is living to make sure that the proper decisions are being made.

Please drop us a line and tell us how things proceed and what he decides to do.

Rate This Article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (5 votes, average: 4.40 out of 5)
Related Topics
, .
View our other articles that are related to this post.

© Ilyce R. Glink. All rights reserved. This content may not be used, distributed, syndicated, compiled or excerpted in any medium or form without written authorization from Think Glink, Inc. For information on syndicating please contact us.

3 Responses to Property Seizure by Medicaid to Pay Medical Bill

  1. Jack O'Brien says:

    My friend left his mobile home to me in his will, his brother handles his estate and when he had the proper papers to act on his behalf we went to the Florida tag office to transfer the title into my name with no lien holders. I got a call from his brother the other day and he told me that the medical costs for him were 125 thousand dollars and that he may have to sell his assets to pay the medical bills. He was suggesting to me that I may have to give up the home now even though it is in my name. My question is this, can a hospital take back the home that was legally left to me in his will? I also might add that this is a senior mobile home park and at best he might have been able to get 4 thousand dollars if he sold it and then he would have had to pay 500 dollars a month lot rent while waiting to sell it.

    • jane says:

      I am guessing that if they do an audit and find that there were unpaid creditors at the time of the inheritance and title transfer, that yes, they can seize the home for sale of it. At the time of his death, if there were creditors, they must be paid prior to the transfer or sale of any remaining property. I have found out that a will in and of itself is almost not worth the paper it is written on. It can and usually is contested and if a valid bill is presented, the home will have to be reclaimed to pay the bill.

  2. Joanna Hill says:

    My house is equally owned by three people. My son, my daughter and myself. My daughter had a stroke and did not have any medical insurance. She is now on Medicaid. Can medicad come after 1/3 on the assets in the home which is fully paid for? North Carolina

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *