Quit Claim Deed Vs. Warranty Deed To Transfer Property Ownership From Father to Son

By | August 13th, 2009|

Quit claim deeds are a popular tool used by many, but in some cases a warranty deed is a better option. When a relative owns a home, should you quit claim that home to a child? Usually, you shouldn't use a quit claim deed to avoid estate planning issues. The better option is to work with an estate planner to determine whether you should keep the property, set up a trust or another mechanism to transfer property from a parent to a child. But usually it's not going to be a quit claim deed.