Q: My wife and I want to purchase up to 200 acres of vacant farm land. Our goal is to build a home on the property within a year of the land purchase.

Where can we go to find the right kind of financing? Our current bank is not familiar with land purchases of this type and doesn’t want to help us.

A: Since you’ll eventually build on this property, consider a mortgage broker who deals in construction financing. Your other option is to find a lender based in the local area in which you’re purchasing the property. These lenders should be accustomed to helping people purchase large tracks of land and should be able to help you, too.