Q: My mother owns the condo that I am living in. My name is on the title but not on the mortgage. She wants to transfer her interest in the property to me.

How do we do this? We purchased the condo in Miami for $163,000 last month.

A: Your mother can certainly transfer the title of the condo from her to you, but the only way to get your mother’s name off of the mortgage is for you to get a loan in your name alone. You’ll have to apply with a lender and have your loan approved. Then, you can pay off your mother’s loan and she will transfer title to you at the closing.

Please talk to a real estate attorney for more details.