When you do a 1031 exchange to defer taxes you have to choose replacement property that’s similar or “like kind.” The “like kind” property may not only be real estate but also timber, air, oil or gas rights. The tax payer must exchange like for like however. Learn more about “like kind” property and its role in a 1031 exchange.