Q: I just resigned from one employer and the new employer doesn’t accept 401(k) rollovers. I am contributing to the new employer’s 401(k) plan.

I’m not sure what to do with the old employers 401(k) funds. I know I have the option to convert to an IRA but in reality I probably wouldn’t contribute additional funds to an IRA.

Should I just let my old 401(k) plan sit stagnant and just ebb and flow with the market?

A: It depends on how well you’ve done with your old employer’s 401(k) plan. If the plan has produced good results, you could stick with it for awhile.
I think the better option is to roll over the account into a self-directed IRA. Even if you never contribute another dime to the account, at least you can choose your own investment.

Choose a financial company with loads of options (mutual funds and index funds) and low fees for retiree accounts.

Good luck, and thanks for writing ThinkGlink.com.