Q: I want to write a contract with a family member to become tenants in common. Where can I find all the information I will need about property, survivorship, etc.

A: Hire an attorney to help you through this daunting process. Because you’re doing this with a family member, you’ll want to make sure you haven’t missed anything important.

Most real estate attorneys will help you for a flat fee. Believe me, it will be well worth the money you spend, even if you’re living in a state that doesn’t generally use a real estate attorney to close a residential transaction.