If you’ve ever thought you’d like to rewrite the tax code or share your opinion on taxes with the IRS, here’s your chance.

The Internal Revenue Service seeks volunteers for its Taxpayer Advisory Panel. TAP provides feedback to the Treasury Department, the IRS and the National Taxpayer Advocate, an independent organization within the IRS.

Here’s some more info:

To be a member of TAP you must be a U.S. citizen, current with your tax obligations, able to commit 300 to 500 hours during the year and pass an FBI criminal background check. New TAP members will serve a three-year term starting in December 2009. Anyone chosen as an alternate would be considered to fill any vacancies that open during the next two years.

TAP members are being sought for the following states: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas.

Alternates are being sought for: Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Applications to become a member of TAP will be accepted until April 30. Applications are available online at www.improveirs.org. Applications can also be received through the mail by calling toll-free 1-888-912-1227.

Because of the time commitment involved, this volunteer opportunity may be best suited for someone without a full-time job – a retiree or stay at home parent.

March 24, 2009