Loan Modification Hell
6 Things To Do If You’re In Loan Modification Hell
On a recent conference call with journalists, Jack Schakett, a Credit Loss Mitigation Strategies Executive with Bank of America, outlined six things consumers can do if they are in loan modification hell that may help smooth out the process. The company acknowledged that the process has been difficult, and that consumers are confused and frustrated. New innovations in technology and servicing software have been designed to help.
In the meantime, if you’re trying to get a loan modified, you should try these six tips to make the loan modification process easier:
1. Call the mortgage loan servicer at off-peak times. Off-peak includes evening in the Eastern Time Zone and late afternoon in the Pacific Time Zone.
2. Prepare documentation in advance. It’s fairly easy to get into a trial loan modification, but the mortgage loan servicer is going to have to fully underwrite the loan before the trial loan modification can be made permanent. That means you’ll have to submit tax information, and documents that show how much you earn, how much money you have in the bank, and other information necessary for the mortgage loan servicer to figure out whether you can afford the loan.
3. Make the trial modification payments on time. It seems as though this should be intuitive, but apparently many people don’t realize that you need to have made at least three trial loan modification payments on time before your trial loan modification becomes permanent. If you miss a trial loan modification payment, or pay it late, you could be kicked out of the program.
4. Complete paperwork accurately. Bank of America says that many homeowners are not sending in completed paperwork or are not completing documentation correctly. Homeowners say lenders are losing documents. Your best bet is to scan in your documentation to the computer so you can email it to the lender over and over again. Also, make sure you get a list in writing from the mortgage loan servicer on the documentation that is required for the trial loan modification.
5. Be aware of the many foreclosure relief scams and wary of anyone asking for upfront fees in order to provide foreclosure assistance. None of the big banks are changing for trial loan modifications through the HAMP program. That said, you might be charged for other types of modifications or refinancings. In any case, no one can speed up a trial loan modification other than you and the lender. It is NOT worth paying anyone any amount of cash to do this for you. You can do it yourself.
6. Never make a mortgage payment to anyone other than the mortgage loan servicer. It seems obvious, but many companies claiming to be able to help you get a loan modification will attempt to put themselves in between you and the lender. That’s dangerous because if you don’t make your monthly payments, you’ll fall farther and farther behind and may become ineligible for a HAMP modification.
Bank of America has a home loan assistance website that can also provide a great resource for borrowers. HomeLoans.BankofAmerica.com/homeloanhelp
New ThinkGlink eBooks
ThinkGlink eBooks About Investing in Real Estate Are Now Available
We created five new ebooks that together provide you with more than 100 pages of important, money-saving information about investing successful in real estate. here are the five topics:
- 1031 Tax-Deferred Exchanges. Everything you need to know about 1031 Exchanges (also known as Starker Trusts) and how to use them to defer capital gains and recapture taxes.
- LLCs, Corporations, And Other Ways Of Holding Title To Real Estate. The time to start thinking about you’re going to hold title is BEFORE you buy an investment property. This ebook walks you through the different ownership options and what you need to know.
- How to Profit From Foreclosures: 9 Top Tips From Investors. Avoid the most common and most devastating mistakes real estate investors make by reading this ebook.
- Finding Great Tenants And Profitably Managing Real Estate Investments. If you don’t have good tenants, you’ll wind up with losing money with your real estate investment – or perhaps destroying your credit. This ebook tells you how to find great tenants, how to price your unit to rent, and how to manage your property effectively and efficiently.
- The Successful Real Estate Investors Guide: Top Tax Tips. Investing successfully means you’ve got to keep your expenses low. That means, watch what you pay in taxes. This book walks you through the major tax areas you’ll encounter with real estate investing.
We also have FREE BOOKS and other ebooks in the ThinkGlink.com store.
You can get a FREE copy of my book 50 Simple Steps You Can Take to Disaster Proof Your Finances” or “The REALLY Useful Guide to Working Smarter Not Harder” at the ThinkGlink.com store. You pay the shipping and we’ll send you any number of books for free!
Order Your ThinkGlink Ebook or Free Book Today!
Buy 3 Ebooks and Get 1 Free Ebook DEAL!
If you select 3 ebooks from our store and enter the discount code “freeebook” (no quotes), you’ll get one of those ebooks for free. It works with all of our ebooks. Just use the code to get the discount. It will show up when you check out of the ThinkGlink store.
Other titles that may interest you include:
Last Ditch Efforts: What To Do IF Your House STILL Hasn’t Sold
Save Your Home From Foreclosure!
17 Things To Know About Fixing Your Credit
Leave A Comment