I just got this question from a Clark Howard listener:

Q: Hi, a few months ago you were filling in for Clark howard and a guy called in wanting to use a tax attorney and you discouraged him from doing so and gave him a name of a IRS negotiator to use instead and I’m looking for that name????

A: I often recommend Enrolled Agents (EAs) who are licensed to represent taxpayers before the IRS.

You can find a local EA at www.naea.org. (National Association of Enrolled Agents).

I think Tax Attorneys are fine, but I think you’d pay less with an EA so unless it’s a truly complicated legal question, an EA would probably be able to handle it.

Sept. 8, 2008