Q: I am buying a new home that is not under construction yet. My contractor has asked for a “commitment letter” from my bank. My contractor then said that we would write up a contract.

When do I need to hire a real estate lawyer? And, since I am a first time homebuyer who can I go to with all of my questions?

A: Yes, you should hire a real estate attorney as soon as possible. Especially because it sounds like you have walked in off the street to a subdivision and are not working with a real estate agent.

I don’t know what state you’re living in, but I think that if you don’t work with a real estate agent, you need to hire someone to work on your behalf, walk you through the deal, answer your questions, and make sure your rights are protected.

A real estate attorney fits that bill. You can find a good one through your local or state bar association.