Even if lender sends you letter asking you to call and modify your loan, you may not get any help. You may need to file a complaint.

Q: I am trying to help my brother-in-law restructure his loan but the lender won’t call us back even after sending us as letter stating they were more than willing to help us.

We recently received a letter telling us that the home was being sold under deed. What should we do?

A: We’ve heard from many readers about how they can’t get their lenders to respond to their calls for help with their mortgage problems. It seems like you’re in loan modification hell.

If you have kept a journal of every call you have made to them, that will help you out. You will have a log of the number of times you called your lender and the response you have gotten to back any complaint you have.

You should try one last time to contact your brother-in-law’s lender. You may wish to try the Homeowner’s Hope Hotline (888-995-HOPE), which is affiliated with the Federal government’s MakingHomeAffordable.gov website and is staffed with HUD-approved housing counselors. The hotline offers a back-door channel to more than 40 lenders.

You along with many others are in loan modification hell.

If you are unable to talk to a person to help you out, and the lender is one of the largest banks in the country, then you might wish to file a complaint against your lender with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. You can file the complaint online and obtain a case number at www.HelpWithMyBank.gov.

You may need to file the complaint in order to get your lender to take notice of your request (and you should note at the top of your complaint that your home is about to go into foreclosure).

However, you should know that not every borrower is entitled to help from their mortgage lenders. Some borrowers, due to their specific income situations, may make too much money to obtain relief from their lenders in the manner they might like and others may be unemployed and make no money.

If a homeowner does not have any income any support from the lender won’t do much to assist that borrower, although unemployed homeowners may be eligible for an improved forbearance program that halts payments for up to one year. (MakingHomeAffordable.gov details the programs that are available and how to pursue them.)

Good luck.